Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Today...

We have finally gone back to real desert weather and the humidity took a hike. Thank goodness. It has been a miserable summer so far but mainly because heat and humidity take the fun out of life.
I have had most of my worse faults come to surface the past couple of months. There is something so depressing about being lethargic and unable to find joy. I am one of those people that has to be busy and I feel like lately all I do is pass the time. Such a waste. I wish we were in Minnesota sitting on the deck smelling the wonderful lake and hearing the loons calling out. I think I need to experience different lives to be happy. I have neighbors walk by the same time every single morning and the conversations are all similiar. I find myself walking in a different direction or time to simply not be routine. Maybe its my flight attendant background of a different route, hotel, crew, plane that makes me this way. With that in mind I definitely found the perfect occupation for myself didnt I?

We went bike riding on Sunday and I was determined to go 20 miles. J slept in so we didnt leave until 830 which is when the sun starts to get going. If you are peddling the breeze seems to help you not notice the 100 degrees but once you stop sweat is dripping off. We made the 20 miles and it felt great to be outside doing something I love. I was so overheated arriving home I jumped right into the pool and it has never felt better!

Please notice how purple/red my face is from the ride....wth. Gracie got so excited about me in the pool she jumped in the deep end and landed on my head. She managed to scratch my perscription sunglasses so badly they were rendered useless. So today I am going to get new ones...a very expensive jump for sure. Good thing I love her so much!

I am leaving for Seattle tomorrow and have all 12 pieces stuffed into one of those really big suitcases you only use if you are running away. I had to clean all the dust and dirt off of it from years of sitting around waiting. I hope it survives the trip and we both land at the same time...a neighbor came over yesterday to see all of my work before it was gone. Its so interesting to see what someone else is drawn to and their comments on pieces. I hope this happens at the wine tasting room as well. If nothing else my work is diverse and unique pieces of art. I am taking my favorite Yosemite piece and while I hope it returns to me I put a price on it I can live with.
 I see its suppose to rain one day and be chilly the next...I am so excited for the chance to wear different clothes again! I packed a jacket...can you imagine?!?  I am looking fwd to visiting with Ingerlise and just maybe seeing a few familiar faces and places.

My mom had a time share for a week at Lake Arrowhead so I went up for 2 nights to check it out. Well and again to cool off...reoccurring mission it would seem. Its beautiful up there with the lakes and pines..very crowded tho and so many winding roads. We took the boat tour of Lake Arrowhead and it was great fun to just be out on the water. Definitely a wonderful place to visit and I do so love the mountains. Throw in a lake and you have me....
Popular duck hangout in Arrowhead Village
So jealous of all the fun sailboats out enjoying the day
Big Bear Lake
My bf has spent the summer going thru her house, closets and garage getting rid of anything she doesnt love. I so admire her and have begun walking thru mine mentally pointing out all the things I have that I dont love. I read an article on downsizing for retired people and it said 'don't make your house a museum of your life.' OMG that is exactly what we have done..I told J we either hang it, use it or get rid of it. No more storing treasures for a better day. Well except all those cool toys we thought we were saving for a grandchild. Guess I need to spend the next year organizing and selling, giving away etc. all the things we dont need or love.
I made the bold decision to try and sell a set of china we have as well. I went online to see what a place setting cost and then went to ebay. $119.95 for a place setting but no bids higher than .96 for any piece on ebay. So do I give it away, donate it for the write off, or simply let it sit where it is? This is where I become sentimental and its so difficult to remove that from the equation. They say all collectibles, china, silver, crystal are absolutely worthless. Everyone wants fast and easy now.  I have an antique camera given to me from some distant relative I would imagine. I dont want it but how do you throw away something so wonderful from the past?

 I was designated the keeper of the family treasures on my mom's side. How do I get rid of things over 100 yrs old and feel good about it? I dont know.  My friend works in a thrift shop and someone dropped off a 100 yr old hand beaded wedding dress. The thrift shop didnt want it and we discussed how cool it would be to know its story and how sad that this was its destiny. We are such a disposable society and the younger generation dont want clutter or stuff. Yet how do we dismiss the value of our past and generations that went before us? I love to watch antique roadshow and see the treasures some people come in with. I find myself wondering do they all go home and try to sell them or do they continue to hold on to a piece from their past.
Thanks for dropping by...

4 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful trip, I can't wait to hear all about it! Everyone will love your work.
    Lake Arrowhead is fun, we've been a couple times as you know. It was too crowded, like you said. Also, that drive up and back is just plain scary. I could do without that part. Glad you got on the water and also beat the heat for a couple days.
    You know I worked in consignment for several years. I have a ton of experience with people getting rid of stuff. Some times I couldn't imagine getting rid of "moms" belonging after she passed away. The fact is is that we don't have room to hold on to everything. Hold on to one of two things that will serve as reminders to certain loved ones and cherish them. That camera is cool, but you don't even know who's it was? Do you display it? No? Get rid of it!! The china (my friend Kathy went thru this after her mom died, there is no value, she was shocked) needs to go if you have no love for it. What is it from? Is it your wedding china? You grandmothers? You can't hold on to it hoping for $$. check all of your kids and relatives to see if they want it and if not donate.
    Neal and I have had this conversation recently because we know one day we'll lose our parents and they'll have all kinds of stuff we'll need to make decisions about. Can we take it all?? No! I got a leg up because I moved in with Neal and got rid of so much when I did. We just didn't have the room to keep everything. I'm lucky that I have 3 sibs to split everything with when the time comes. We'll probably be fighting over mom and dads things ; )
    love and kisses to you and the Jer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet~ Thanks for the great reply! You should blog!! You shared some great advice but to be honest the thought of going thru my house packing stuff up even sounds overwhelming. I think I will begin tho and just work on one cupboard or closet at a time. I will also have my mom's house to deal with because neither of my brothers will want a single thing. I do find my divorced friends all seem to have so much less! Funny that Dean got your china~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a COOL time in WA sis...DO NOT buy any momentos...LOL...... wth..now I can't spell momentos...fun blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cher, Dean got the china because it was his grandmothers. I wonder if he even kept it.....Teri has dumped a ton of stuff.
    Have a blast on vacation and being a real live artist!!!!

    ReplyDelete