Friday, June 1, 2012

goodbye May and hello June

We reached a record breaking high yesterday 114 and this morning it was still 91 at 0500. It is a little known fact that wherever JK and I have moved the locals begin to say this is unusually cold, hot, rainy, snowy....so now we have ruined yet another city. Ginger, our busty weather lady that JK waits for...(is it the weather or her boobs I am never sure) says these temps are normal for Aug not May. Thank you Ginger...

We spent Memorial Day at the PS Air Museum and it was a wonderful day even with the 100 temp. on the tarmac. They began with a P63 doing fly overs...
The pilot appeared to be having great fun as he passed over us and made some fancy turns.
Then they did the missing man formation and it was beautiful...
Can you believe I caught this cool photo? I could not see a thing the sun was so bright! Lucky gal for sure!


Meanwhile they pulled a B25 out of the hangar and had a bit of a memorial speech dedicated to all
our veterans and this grand old plane. It was magical...


This lovely design represents the video I took of his last pass where the pilot opened the bomb bay and 3000 carnations rained down on us. It was awesome and I caught it on video...which you cannot see.... and I cannot delete this box. So sorry...if only I was more tech savvy I might have been able to figure it out. Where is Rande when I need him?!

A sweet story for you...my mom worked at Port Hueneme during the war and would date some of the servicemen passing thru. One was Gene Sundberg from MN as he was going thru pilot training on the B17. He gave my mom this locket during their brief courtship and she gave it to me after I started flying with American. I wore it most of my career and it has been hanging in my jewelry box for even more years, but still a treasure to me. My mom found Gene thru the internet and he has recently  passed away but his daughter lives in Hemet CA which is nearby. So she telephoned her and sent letters and photos of Gene to her and she was so appreciative. Yea mom for making someone's day so much better!
 So I wore Gene's lovely Army Air Corp locket to the memorial to let him know he was special and will always be remembered.


JK says it was the best Memorial Day in years so next year we are hoping to be volunteers at the museum and be an even bigger part of this pageantry.
  I might add the pilot had on a cool flight suit as he climbed into the B25 and JK mentioned he still has his....I immediately envisioned him wearing it and climbing aboard this magnificent plane and being all movie star handsome as he taxied out. Wont happen so we just held hands and walked away carrying my carnations dropped from the sky.


Thanks for dropping by and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. another nice story,,,,,114 the only good thing about that is when it gets down to 105 you'll think it's cool LOL..hanging on the Rogue...nice here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie! I have missed your blog responses so glad you are back in the usa!
      you are right about 105 looking good now...we don't even have birds at the feeders today its so hot. I have been lethargic lately and I think its due to being a bit housebound. I was so enjoying my daily outdoor life this one seems confining. I will get myself turned around soon because I AM NOT MOVING! I keep telling JK we need to sell the Westy and get a little trailer and just hit the road in the summer. Save a spot on the Rogue for us next year! xo

      Delete
  2. It does sound like a very memorable day. Great pictures!
    Sorry about the heat, yuck! We're having lovely 70's this week, after a peek at the hot last weekend we're not quite ready for it!

    ReplyDelete