Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The week I could have done without.

Last week was a real challenge in every aspect. The weather went down the toilet and stayed there for four days...we had a storm come up from Mexico and it was so humid and muggy it was unbearable outside. Reminded me of when they open the door to the jetbridge at DFW and you couldn't breathe the air was so hot and thick. We even got some rain which was a great way to give the desert a much needed drink and wash down everything.
On Saturday I got up early so Grace and I could still do our walk before the heat was intolerable. When I turned into our house JK was coming out looking for me and very upset. Ky had called and was in a bad accident on his way to Seattle. He went by a semi truck on a 2 lane road and it sucked the jeep in and threw up so much dirt and loose gravel he was blinded. He lost control and rolled over several times. By the grace of God he was able to walk away and so we feel very grateful for that. We could have been planning a funeral right now.

RIP sweet little red jeep.
This one gives you an idea how far out into the field he ended up.
Needless to say it was a stressful weekend and absolutely nothing we could do to change it. I dread those calls from our sons at accidents and pray this one is our last. Its a terrible feeling of stress, emotions and helplessness all rolled up in one.

I have been busy sewing and finished two more pieces. I had a long email discussion with a stained glass artist friend who told me this year has been horrible for art festival artists. If they are lucky they broke even but most did not sell enough to even do that. Once you add in your cost of admission, lodging, etc~ its just not the right time to try.  So right now I am working on sending a few pieces to Tahiti with a friend going there this month and having RV hang them in his rentals. If people can afford to come to Tahiti hopefully they can afford to buy a little art to remind them of their stay. We shall see. I guess I will go back and look at Etsy the handmade website.  Honestly as much as I love to create I feel like giving up again. There is so much overhead to start up a business and too big of a risk factor. We shall see when I get back from Minnesota if I am pumped up to begin again.
 I have also discovered its a bugger to try and make a piece over again. I just spent two days trying to do another rooster and it simply is not fun or easy. I told my man I probably should not sell the camping piece or SW piece because I wont be able to replace them. New motto..."if you love it~ keep it."

We are both looking forward to our road trip and month spent relaxing on the water. I have slowly been putting aside things (wine, beer, mosquito spray...) I want to take but knowing us it will be a madhouse the very last minute. I just purchased tickets to the summer theatre in Alex and making dinner plans with friends so we should have a great vacation. I booked all our hotels and spaced them out strategically so we aren't doing 5 hrs one day and 14 the next. I think I would be a great tour manager! I am looking fwd to seeing Rande in Colorado and Janet and Neal in WI. How fun to have relatives on the way to somewhere~

On the news last night the Boy Scouts of America announced they will not accept gays in their organization and that makes me feel devastated. Rande posted 'it is embarrassing to be an Eagle Scout when the boy scouts are such a bigoted organization.'  We have always taken great pride in saying all three of our sons are Eagle Scouts because they all worked hard to receive that final honor. Ky was relentless to finish by the age of 13 and stayed the course. At the end when his brothers had lost interest in scouting he would call and schedule merit badge outings for the three of them. There were lots of hard times and mean boys in the troops but all three endured because we told them~ you started this, you will finish it. How much pride can Ky feel now to be an Eagle Scout when they say he is not welcome in their organization? Why do people assume that being gay means you want to be  promiscuous or are a threat to anyone of the same sex? You are just a person trying to find your way and scouting provided my boys with great opportunities, skills and the ability to finish what they start.
Why would BSA feel comfortable with such a hateful announcement affecting so many young boys and men and encouraging others to hate along with them? I am sad and brokenhearted because with our three boys scouting was our life for over ten years.  I was proud to be a scouting mom and I am still proud of all three of my Eagle Scouts...just no longer proud of the boy scouts organization.
I wish the news didn't make me cry every night with all the hate, war, and ugliness we show each other on a daily basis.


I love my Eagle Scouts...
Thanks for dropping by...I promise to be more cheerful next post.




2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Sorry it took me so long to respond......busy weekend here.
    I can't even imagine how worrisome Ky's accident must have been for you guys. It's a miracle that he walked away from such an awful accident, the car certainly doesn't look like anyone could survive it. Thank god he did!!
    The BSA is so wrong!! I've never been happy with the organization but even less recently. I know it's good for some boys and it can build great character but it is like organized religion....so much bias and bigotry. I'm sure your happy not to have to be involved anymore.
    I am looking so forward to your coming out this way. Neal and I golfed, yes golfed this weekend!!! It was at the really cool 9 hole place called Argue-ment Golf. Check it out.....we may have to go golfing when you're here.
    http://www.arguementgolf.com/
    We're finally getting some rain around here so maybe there is a chance things will green up slightly before you get here....one can only hope. Also lets hope it's not tooooo hot for you.
    Have a great week!
    xo
    j

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are looking fwd to our visit as well AND a break from desert summer. Only 5 days until we leave! Woohoo!
    I guess what makes the BSA decision all the more upsetting is that I did believe in the organization and felt it was a great family endeavor. While we were involved the gay issue did not exist and since we were involved in church it folowed our beliefs. What scares me is reading all the comments online after their announcement and just how much hate really exist 'out there' for gays. Its a frightening world we live in and I am ready to put my head in the sand at a peaceful lake. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete