Sunday, November 27, 2011

My friend

I met  Gugi as we all called her November 30 1974. We were assigned four to a room at American Airlines Stewardess College and she was the last to arrive.  She came storming into the room upset and swearing because the airline had lost her underwear suitcase. I had never met a Puerto Rican let alone an angry one and she had an underwear suitcase?!? Oh man I simply had to have her be my friend! We spent six weeks together in training and when she was assigned NEW YORK CITY I begged another girl to trade with me. I HAD to go to NY and live with Gugi or die!
This is the four of us~ Gugi is next to me on the right. Oh so young!!
We moved into an absolute dive walk up apt with bums sleeping in the foyer but we were together and we would make it. She got called for her first flight before me so I got up at 0400 am to ride the bus to the airport with her. I was thinking she would not be afraid if I came along and to be honest I thought I would feel better practicing.
This is what she looked like the morning of her very first flight on American. So hopeful!
Our lives intertwined for years after the year and half in NY~ she went to DC and I went to San Diego. We continued to be best friends and visit each other, some years more than others.
I chose her for my bridesmaid and the godmother to my youngest son. Of the six godparents we chose for our boys she is the only one that continues to care about and love my boy. I love her for that and so does Ky. Gugi is the first person I want to talk to when something goes horribly wrong or blissfully right. She is a best friend of the best kind and I pray she is always in my life.

When I flew my last flight with American she met me at the airport for a celebratory hug as I boarded passengers for the very last time. It meant the world to me because she was such a huge part of my 13 year career with American Airlines.


This weekend my sweet friend flew her last trip with AA just shy of 38 years. I am so proud of her for hanging in there when she thought she couldn't. For smiling and enduring the changes our airline industry has experienced and most of all for saying enough...time for me to sit back and enjoy life and do whatever I please. Congratulations gf~job well done. I love you.
The end....

3 comments:

  1. I love all of the pictures. Looks like you found a good photo album in those boxes.

    This is so cool to learn about your history, and I love your bond with Aunt Gugi. Cool post, Mor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! Did you meet her for her last flt too??
    Love the old pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry and I both wanted to but she wanted it to be just her husband and low key. How sad American filed bankruptcy within days of her last flight. I guess they could not picture success without her! lol

    ReplyDelete