Saturday, April 7, 2012

Happy Easter weekend!

I just downloaded my camera and look what I found! I DID take photos after all!
It takes a pool float to get tk to drink Coors!
jw went home a very brown berry so I am surprised I have a photo of her in the shade! Wolfgang was here as well but no where near the water in case his dad grabbed him for a dip! While a good swimmer, definitely not a willing one!
This is our new umbrella which has been wonderful blocking the sun into the kitchen in the morning. It also provided a lovely place to have a bite to eat! I am still working on the garage sale style setup I have going there...
So yesterday we attended the Indian Wells Art Festival and it was very cool. Much more relaxed atmosphere and not so many "out there" artists. We found the watercolor artist we like and felt terrible that we didn't fall in love with the big horn sheep he had painted for us. We kind of sneaked off to figure out how to not hurt his feelings but also not purchase something we didnt love. We ended up visiting with a stain glass artist who lives in Ojai now but came from Nederland CO. Very interesting individual and she told us to be honest with him and we should not buy something that doesn't move us. So we went back and spoke to him and it was awful. He was so kind and said he had two interested parties so not to worry. It still felt so sad because I have been the artist hoping my person loved what I made for them. I can still remember throwing myself to the ground in tears when the guy came for the SW kokopelli piece. Nothing about him said he was pleased and it killed me.
So we went back to tell the stain glass friend it worked out and ended up buying this from her. There was no pressure to buy but this is called Springtime in Ojai and it caught my eye from the moment we walked up.
We are working on where to hang it but I wanted to share it with you in the meantime. It didn't hurt that it was about half the price and I really liked the artist as a person. Wonder when her birthday is?!? lol
I also came to the conclusion I am not meant to be a business person/artist. This artist drove down for at least 3 days of this show, hotel and dining, had been here for 4 hours and not sold anything and highly likely would not sell more this day. She had to pay for the booth and give 12% of her sales to the show. Seems like a very fragile way to make money not to mention the hurt feelings if no one buys at all.  Being an artist is a bit like having a window into your soul and you need to be tough enough to handle people not liking what they see.
  I have decided not to do the art show in Seattle...just too difficult to orchestrate and highly likely nothing would sell to compensate for all the expenses. I have been touched by the support of my friends wanting to attend but it takes more than that to pull it off. I keep saying I want to be somebody but honestly maybe I am not meant to be more than I am. I am feeling badly my friend forgot to pay me for the story quilt so how the heck could I be a success as a business person? I know, right?!  I am trying to figure out what direction to go with this second half of my life and its not easy to do. I get so upset at my boys for not trying harder or being motivated to be all they are capable of. Now I understand because believing in yourself and pursuing something unknown is difficult. It takes courage and determination and sometimes settling just feels more comfortable. Ah life...why do you have to be such a challenge!
Hope you all have a blessed Easter and find ALL the eggs!
Hugs~

1 comment:

  1. Ohh no show! Oh well, you have no connection to Seattle or any other reason to go there, so it would be rather out of your way and a large expense. If your heart isn't super into it, then don't worry about it.

    I love the stained glass piece, it's so pretty! I'd like to see the light it casts in the sunlight. Bumma about the water color painting; that would've been cool. Strange he said it was the "best yet" but then you didn't think it was so great. I'm sure he'd rather know, though, instead of wondering why you didn't take it after requesting it.

    Timothy sure has a crazy beard. I wanna come lie in the sun : (

    ReplyDelete