Saturday, April 28, 2012

might be a nap in the hammock kind of day

Successful party = check! As much whining as I did yesterday about not wanting to host the party it was actually pretty darn easy. I am use to personally making a table full of heavy and light hordourves for my parties so I was feeling guilty about not. Everyone brings something to share and drink so I made popcorn! ha! I would say we had over 20 people and I met some new neighbors and had some great conversations. Also had the opportunity to share my art work with a couple of ladies that thought I was awesome. Always good to hear and one of them has a friend with an art gallery so you never know!  I am thinking I may try to assemble a bit of a portfolio of my pieces large enough to show some details. It feels wrong to say 'Oh, well lets look at my computer at photos'...
kind of hoaky.

I wanted to share a book I just read...The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons. It begins in 1938 and is the story about an old english estate on the Dorset Coast as war was beginning to break out. The author used an actual estate Tyneham as her basis and the history behind that area and time frame is fascinating. Churchill told the people of Tyneham they would have to leave their estate, village and homes so the military could use them but promised they would be returned to them after the war. So the residents all planted their gardens and tidied up their places so when they returned it would be life as usual. They even left a note pinned to the church asking the soldiers to please take care of their village and homes because they were so impt to them. Well Churchill did not ever return their estate to them and the soldiers (British and American) shot up the houses and ruined the village. I found the whole history of this so interesting I am searching Amazon for more books on that time frame. The war from England's point of view is so different from what we learned in America.

Yesterday I finally broke down and wrote to the event planner for the winery and told her I could not come up with an easy way to orchestrate the month of Sept and she would need to find another artist. She merely replied 'OK ..no problem ~soak up some sun for me.'  Geez she could have faked some disappointment dont you think?  I have been trying to understand why I refused to send this email sooner and wondered if I was hoping I could still do the show. Was I sad to give up the dream of being somebody?? Was I embarrassed to once again back out and be a quitter? I have decided yes to all 3. While I was in the process of planning this show and dreaming of possibly being a success I felt full of potential. I feel nothing but disappointment in myself right now yet I know there are different avenues I can pursue. I guess I was riding high on the possibility of being good at something. Oh well. At least its done and I can move on with a clear calendar.

We have rented the wonderful MN lake home again for Aug and from there going to New Glarus WI to see my sweet cousin and on to Door County. I am so excited to see all of these places again! Kind of a cute story...the people we are renting the lake home from emailed me about the dates. So I replied "Great... and the sec deposit last summer was $1000.00~ is that still fine?"  She writes back that last yr was their first time renting but this year they know us and it wont be necessary! Seriously? We have never met and we still have a cat and dog! I write these friendly emails convincing them to let us use their home and saying I wish we could have a cocktail on the deck together...and now they think we are friends. The power of words is incredible~
Thanks for dropping by.

1 comment:

  1. glad you had a good time! It's always the way these things go, sounds overwhelming but turns out way worth it!!
    Can't wait to see you in NG and Door County too!

    ReplyDelete